Latest Motoring News
New Bulletproof Cars: Mercedes vs. BMW
posted on Aug 28 2014 by Kiri Nowak
Understandably, with the technology that goes into creating these cars, they don’t come cheap. If you want to protect your life and have the ultimate security car you will need to dig deep into your pockets. Bulletproof cars are often roughly three to four times the cost of the standard models theya re based on.
Mercedes-Benz have several other high security ‘guard’ vehicles including the E-Guard, G-Guard and M-Guard. The S600 is the newest member of the guard family. BMW have the BMW X5 Security Plus and the BMW 7 Series High Security.
So who might actually buy these mean bulletproof machines? Wealthy members of the public who have a serious concern for their safety may be interested, but these cars mainly carry important political figures, royals and celebrities.
No matter what your profession, if you think there is any chance you may be shot at on a regular basis then you might want to invest in an awesome high security car. Both Mercedes and BMW have launched new bulletproof cars recently, the Mercedes-Benz S600 Guard and the BMW X5 Security Plus.
The question is, which car should you choose? Your decision will depend on the level of security you need and also your taste in cars. Here are the key features of each car to help you make a decision should you require a bulletproof car.
Mercedes-Benz S600 Guard
· Can withstand attack from bullets, gas, mines and grenades
· Hand built cars in order to achieve optimum strength
· Double-plates welds and seams
· Run-flat tyres
· 523bhp twin-turbo V12-powered S600
· Protection also covers the under body area
· 10mm thick windscreen that weighs 135kg
· Carbon fibre flooring
· Exact appearance of standard S-Class in order to be discreet
· Splinter protection
· Automatic fire extinguisher
· Certified for the highest level of ballistic protection, VR9
· Extras you can add on include a panic alarm and emergency fresh air system
Click here to see our range of Mercedes-Benz cars available to lease.
BMW X5 Security Plus
· Protects against ‘violent assault, kidnapping and organised crime'
· First manufacturer to create a car that can withstand fire from an AK-47
· Run flat tyres
· Attack alarm
· Steel shatter proof glass
· Glass made to prevent flying splinters
· Intercom system
· Self-sealing fuel tank
· Eight-cylinder, turbocharged engine
· VR6 safety level
· Optional extras include a siren system, roof beacons and LED strobe lights in the radiator grille.
Click here to view our range of BMW cars available to lease.